Family Recipes

Family Recipes

Friday, August 12, 2011

Drag Queen Bingo

As someone who works in fundraising, I try to support as many charities as my "non-profit" salary allows. The charities that generally appeal to me are those that advocate for animals, those that fund research for diseases that have affected my close family or friends and those that support the "LGBT" community. As an experienced fag hag, I have always supported gay causes (by dating some of their "members" before they came "out" and attending more pride parades than your average homo) but I also try to lend my financial support when I can.

Last night, Drag Queen Bingo! The event raised money for the Louisville Youth Group, a support group for gay teens. The concept is not a new one, I've heard of other cities having similar events with much the same success as this one. For those who are not familiar, it is what it sounds like - gays, hags (like me) and other supporters play Bingo (just like any ol' Catholic affair) but the catch is, instead of "Father John" or "Sister Mary" calling the game, it's someone infinitely more fabulous (and exceedingly better dressed!) Last night, the "callers" were a couple of elegant "ladies," local celebrities from Connection's very well-known and well-attended (by both gay and straight audiences) drag show, Terri Vanessa Coleman and Hurricane Summers.

Unless you live here, it's hard to believe that Louisville, Kentucky boasts a surprisingly large and generally "accepted" gay community. There are lots of gay-owned businesses, gay-friendly social groups and events and some of the best gay clubs (including the biggest, Connection) of any city this size. I guess it's really not that unusual that we have such a large population of gay residents in the metropolitan city, because if you live in Kentucky and you're gay, where do you go? This is, afterall, the state of rednecks and pick-up trucks (I'm not talking about the lesbian kind) and the location of the movie Deliverance. But, despite the city's gay-friendliness, I still frequently warn my gay husband "Corky" not to get hate-crimed when he's venturing down a dark street or going somewhere uber "straight," like the state fair or (gasp!) Walmart. (How many gay men do you know who shop at Walmart?)   


So, as you can imagine, Drag Queen Bingo was a hit! I even won a game! Actually, my gay husband won but refused to raise his voice (and lower "himself") by yelling "bingo." Also, he wasn't wearing the cutest, butt-emphasizing shorts with which to show off his booty from the stage where winners go to claim their prize. So, I gladly took the honors, marching up to greet Hurricane and pick up my winnings (a $25 Mastercard gift card.) The highlight of the evening, however, was the attention Ms. Summers showered on me, calling me a "pretty thing" and commenting on my "perky boobs." Believe me, this is a compliment matched by none! A man, um... "woman" who knows her D-cups and has maybe even shopped for a couple of her own, recognizing a good set. I will proudly accept that admiration.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! You do have a perky set...show those babies off ;0)I am however appalled...I can't believe "Corky" shops at Walmart!!! Has he never heard of the ever more fabulous TARGET(pronounced fancily)??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shop at Target too :-)

    ReplyDelete